The design I got from the end cap tile for a palace roof. This particular tile can be found at the National Museum in Seoul, and is dated to early SCA period, being Goguryeo.
I decided to use the central motif as the corner piece for a handkerchief. The finished design was a lot simpler than this (after all, I'm just a beginner), but still held a lot of the same imagery and ideas to it. To get from the tile to the image I opened the picture in Photoshop and did a very slow tracing of the outline that I wanted. From there I simplified it down.
However, before I could simplify the design I had to shrink it down to the size that I wanted. The original filled a A4 sized paper. During this phase I also decided what colors I wanted to use where. I decided on a very Korean blue-green, and a purple that matched the traditional Korean pink. (I really don't like pink).
I chose these because the information posted with the tile did not say whether or not the original had been painted or what kind of flower it was. So I got to do a lot of guess work.
The design went through several simplification steps. The one on the left is the original. The one in the middle is with some hand drawn finishing touches and simplification lines. The one on the right is the final design I decided to use for the handkerchief.
Then I had the task of transferring the image from the paper to the silk. I used the poor man's light box at school to do it. I taped the paper to the window. And then taped the silk to the paper (and partially to the window). I hung the design upside down so that I could hang the handkerchief upside down as well to let gravity help rather than hinder. The transference took a very long time. I ended up with cramped hands, and a pained back, but I had it done. The reason it took so long was all of the intricate details and the stuff that was placed beneath the window. (I was at school so I had to contend with immovable shelves and such).
Once I got it off the window I started sewing. I used a split to trace the design, leaving it as an outline. The design stretched a little bit in the process of being made, because it was tucked into a corner. (I'm sure there's a way to fix this. I'll have to do a little more research next time). However, I still think it came out okay.
I didn't win the competition. This is partly because I was running around getting ready to leave so much that I forgot to wash away the extra detailing before taking it to the competition. However, it is mostly due to the fact that the other two just had outstanding pieces. +Tammy Warren made a beautiful painting that I claimed to take home with me, and Will had a prayer bead piece that he had made. Both of them were gorgeous. So I came in third/last place.